Because Voices of a People’s History of the United States is a nonprofit organization, we must ensure that performances of Voices do not jeopardize our nonprofit status. Therefore, we require anyone downloading our materials for public performance to agree to a few simple guidelines.
- No performance of Voices may benefit, support, or promote any individual or organization that participates in any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office.
- No performance of Voices may benefit, support, or promote political activity, defined as intervention in a political campaign, or legislative activity, defined as communication in regards to legislation (broadly defined).
The IRS allows 501(c)(3) organizations to undertake nonpartisan activities to educate the public about issues or encourage citizens to vote. In order to distinguish between illegal political activities and legal voter education and registration activities, note that the following activities are clearly prohibited by 501(c)(3) organizations:
- Formal or informal endorsement of a candidate for public office. Recruiting an individual to run for public office, or supporting an individual before he or she officially registers as a candidate is considered political activity.
- Publication or distribution of statements in favor of or in opposition to a candidate.
- Direct financial contributions or other support to a candidate, political party, or political action committee (PAC).
- In-kind contributions to a candidate, political party or PAC, including, but not limited to provision of facilities or office space, mailing, membership, or donor lists; or other resources for fund raising.
We also ask anyone performing Voices to recognize that the script includes material which is copyrighted by third parties. We have been given a special permission to use the material for specific uses outlined in this agreement only.
This permission includes:
- Authorized non-commercial performances of Voices using the downloaded script and approved variants.
- Educational use of the material in schools and other educational settings.
However, this permission explicitly does not allow
- Publication, distribution, or commercial licensing or exploitation of the script.
- Editing the script.
Any commercial use of the script requires separate written approval by Voices of a People’s History of the United States.
Finally, because Voices cannot sustain its work without the financial support of individuals and organizations performing readings of Voices, we also require the following:
- If any funds are received for a performance, at least 20 percent of the gross revenue must be donated to Voices of a People’s History of the United States within 30 days of the performance, along with necessary documentation and accounting.
- That any additional funds raised will only benefit nonprofit organizations. (We encourage you to consult us about other nonprofit organizations with which we have partnered that can use your support.)
- That no money raised from a performance of Voices will be used in violation of any laws of the state or nation of the performance or will violate the nonprofit guidelines outlined above.