You may add to the standard Voices script no more than four of the Optional Readings (we have found that shorter presentations are more effective).
You may also replace two of the readings here with any of the Optional Readings, but please be conscious of historical, ethnical, and gender diversity issues when making any replacements.
The following Optional readings may be downloaded below in Word format.
1. John Brown, “John Brown’s Last Speech” (November 2, 1859)
2. Henry McNeal Turner, “On the Eligibility of Colored Members to Seats in the Georgia Legislature” (September 3, 1868)
3. Chief Joseph Recounts His Trip to Washington, D.C. (1879)
4. Emma Goldman, “Patriotism: A Menace to Liberty” (1908)
5. Helen Keller, “Strike Against War” (January 5, 1916)
6. Bartolomeo Vanzetti, Speech the Court, April 9, 1927
7. Allen Ginsberg, “America” (January 17, 1956)
8. Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party, Petition Against the War in Vietnam (July 28, 1965)
9. Vito Russo, “Why We Fight” (1988)
10. Orlando and Phyllis Rodriguez, “Not In Our Son’s Name” (September 15, 2001)
11. Rita Lasar, “To Avoid Another September 11, U.S. Must Join the World” (September 5, 2002)
12. Rachel Corrie, Letter from Palestine (February 7, 2003)
If you would like to include Spanish in your program, we also have these readings:
13. Bartolomé de Las Casas, from The Devastation of the Indies: A Brief Account (1542)
14. Orlando and Phyllis Rodriguez, “Not In Our Son’s Name” (September 15, 2001) — can be read in English and Spanish in various formats (two options included here)
Henry McNeal Turner.doc
Orlando and Phyllis Rodriguez.doc
Bartolome de Las Casas Spanish.doc
Orlando and Phyllis Rodriguez Spanish.doc